Saturday, October 25, 2014

Crystal Cabinets


For my business I chose to do Crystal Cabinets because I worked there over the summer and I have a pretty good idea what they do there. It is a cabinet making business located in Princeton, MN. Crystal is a very friendly working environment so it was really fun to work there even though the hours I worked weren’t very convenient since I am not a morning person. They mostly only hire people that know other people that work there like family or friends and since I grew up in Princeton I knew a lot of people that worked there. I believe there are about 7 different departments in the building that I knew of: wood cutting, panel doors, painting, drawer making, assembly, and shipping. I myself worked in the painting department but I mostly sanded the pieces of the cabinets so then they could get painted.

Crystal Cabinets is a private business so they don’t sell their products to big businesses like Walmart, Menards, and etc. The cabinets are sold all throughout the world and they are mainly sold to homeowners or other small businesses because they are very expensive. I was looking through the ordering book they had there and the most expensive cabinet I saw was about $6,000. They were estimating on bringing in about $4 million in profits at the end of 2014. They really take pride in the way they make the cabinets with the amount of time it takes to get the details right. 

3 comments:

  1. My hometown, Aitkin, has a place just like this. It's really cool to see small, local businesses that can prosper even with competition coming from many major manufacturers. And holy cow, a $6,000.00 cabinet would be crazy! That thing better be as big as a house and made from illegal whale bone. Way to promote this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome!! :) I wish I could build furniture, that would be an awesome trade :) that's a crazy amount of profit too!! Super interesting post. Caught my attention!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a successful family business, which isn't very common anymore. The description of the business is good, but I would like to hear more about the social media/marketing side of it. Also want to hear your ideas!

    ReplyDelete