Thursday, October 16, 2014

One Amazing Trip!




This is my family visiting the JFK museum with the Boston Harbor in the background.




When I was about 11 years old I remember going down to my grandparent’s house in the cities because we were going to drop my dad off at the airport that night for his work trip to Boston. He had traveled a lot when I was younger for his job so it was nothing out of the ordinary for my siblings and me. My mom told us that after we drop my dad off at the airport we were going drive over to Milwaukee, Wisconsin to see my aunt and uncle. We weren't very excited about this because we had to wake up at about 4 to bring my dad to the airport and then we had to drive a longer ways to a not very fun place. So we got up around 4 just miserable, piled in the car, and drove my dad to the airport. When we arrived I told my mom jokingly that I was going with my dad and she responded with “how did you know” to my surprise. All of our faces lit up with excitement because we were going to Boston! Although my dad wasn't very excited because he still had to go to work out in Boston while the rest of us toured around Massachusetts.

When we arrived at the Boston airport we had rented to cars, one for us and one for my dad. We started our adventure by going to the city and checking out all the buildings and historical sights. We walked the streets of Boston looking at some of the historical American revolutionary places like Paul Revere’s house, and the church where Paul Revere rang the bell to let people know the British were coming. Also, we went and checked out all of the old graveyards where Paul Revere and Benjamin Franklin were buried. That was probably one of the coolest parts of the trip for me. Later that day we went to the harbor and ended up going on a whale watching boat. Whales look way bigger in person, I was a little scared when I noticed they were bigger than the boat we were on.


The next day we took a ferry over to Martha’s Vineyard which is little island of the coast of Massachusetts. My mom had told us that this was the island where they filmed the movie “Jaws” so us kids were a little nervous about that. Martha’s Vineyard was one of the coolest places I had ever been to. It had this little town filled with tourists and a ton of little shopping places and food places. Later that day we actually went to the beach where jaws was filmed and swam there for a little bit (although I was still a little scared so I only went up to my chest). The next few days we just hung out and went to the beaches around Boston before we had to say goodbye to that awesome city. I will for sure be going to Boston though in the near future!!  

2 comments:

  1. The surprise part of this trip is the BEST! I love that your parents had that planned--and for you kids to get to see such historical sites during your formative years is huge.

    If you added in more about what you were thinking and feeling as you saw each site, your post would give readers even more to get into, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, brought up some great memories, especially the whale watch. That has to be one of the coolest experiences I had as a child, I was glad not to have gotten see sick like many others.

    ReplyDelete