Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Summer Conflict

I had this one complaint that started last year with my roommates that I have today. I am usually not one to complain about something but this problem just had me confused and kind of mad. Last year I had gone in on renting a house with 5 of my friends to live in for this year. I went home for the summer so I could work and make money to pay for my colleges expenses and so did 3 of my other roommates. The two roommates that stayed up here were working in Duluth and living at the house for the summer. The problem arose when they wanted the other 4 roommates that went home for the summer including me to have to pay for utilities over the summer when we were already paying for rent. I just thought it was kind of stupid because I was paying for stuff that I wasn’t using. It wasn’t that big of a deal but I just didn’t understand why they couldn’t just pay for the things they used when we weren’t even living there. Also, some of the bills in for the utilities were just crazy for only 2 people living there. The electric bill came to $63 for 1 month. I was a little bitter about that because that is pretty high for two people. I asked them why it was so high and they just said they must have left lights on or something.
 I’m not going to lie, at first I wanted to call them up right away and tell them there was no way I was paying for that stuff but then my dad was the one that talked some sense into me. He told me not to get in an argument with them because it wasn’t worth the fight. I wanted to have a fun year this year without any tension going into the year so I just bit my tongue and moved on. Sometimes people just need to stop and think about what they are fighting about. The small things that get people angry are not worth losing a friend or messing up a relationship. So far I am having a very fun year and making lots of memories with my roommates. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that your dad was the one to "talk you down" from your anger over this issue. In my mind, most dads would be indignant, too. Heck, I'm not even involved in this, yet I think your roomies were wrong to charge the rest of you.

    When it comes to writing these posts, try to imagine them being read by someone who doesn't know the assignment--by someone who just wanders by, randomly, in cyberspace. That way, you might start out less specific (you might open with an attention-getting sentence or story) and write a piece that has broad, easy appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a tough pickle to be in, I too would've been pretty irritated being told to pay when I wasn't living or getting anything out of it at the time. It is good that you were able to bite your tongue though because I'm sure it would've been tough going into this year with some unwanted tension with roommates.

    ReplyDelete